Historic South Broadway

South Broadway is the oldest path, trail, road, highway and street in the City of Yonkers.

It began first as an animal path. Then, it became a Native American Trail. Afterwards, it was used as a country road. In 1669, it opened as a through route from Manhattan Island to the Philipse Manor, the property owned by Frederick Philipse a Dutch-born merchant and trader and a son-in-law of Stephanus Van Cortlandt who, by the time of his death,had amassed a 52,000-acre estate along the Hudson River that encompassed what is now the entire modern city of Yonkers and much of lower Westchester County. http://philipsemanorhall.blogspot.com/

In 1785, it took the stage coaches using the South Broadway route five hours to go from New York via Kingsbridge to Yonkers*.

*Information courtesy of the Yonkers Historical Society and Philipse Manor Hall State Historic Site